A Handyman is a person who is skilled to do a wide range of repairs in a domestic environment. His tasks include maintenance and repair works in the interior as well as exterior of a house like fix-up tasks, and doing odd jobs and side works etc. His jobs may include changing light fixtures, fixing leaky toilets or fixing light electrical issues etc. In other words a handyman can be described as a paid worker but in some cases homeowners fixing such problems by using DIY kits are also termed as handymen.
Differentiating between a handyman and building contractor
Though the work of a handyman is just like the work of a building contractor still they are different from each other in many ways. One has to have a license issued by the state to do contractor works like installing electrical wiring in a house etc. Normally, contractors are specialist in constructing and repairing the things of a particular type. On the other hand, a handyman can generally handle various types of repair and maintenance works in a household setting without having any license. Though, it is important to hire a licensed and insured contractor to ensure the protection of both, you and the contractor, but handymen are allowed to do works, without any license, costing up to a limited level. Handymen usually work at per-job rate or on hourly basis which can be substantially lower than the fee charged by a contractor.
There are certain legal problems when a homeowner works on his household project without charging any money. In some places, a paid handyman has to be insured or/and licensed to perform his duties in a household whereas he has to be insured and registered before working with a profiteering business in some districts of Singapore.
To do list of a handyman
There is a long list of works to be done by a handyman like the number of chores you have to do in routine in your home. You can hire a handyman to do these works for you if either you cannot handle them yourself or have no time to do such things. Some of the tasks a handyman can do for you may include:
– Removal of trash
– Mold removal and pressure washing to cleanup outdoors and indoors
– Taking care of gardens and lawns
– Yearly or seasonal maintenance of your house
– Installation, insulation and repair of HVAC system
– Installation and repair of home appliances
– Painting the interior and exterior of the house
– Waterproof coating in the basement
– Patching and drying walls
– Plastering the walls
– Caulking and grouting the surfaces
– Assembling the cabinets and furniture packed flat
– Hanging artworks, curtains, and blinds in the house
– Installation and maintenance of minor electrical appliances like ceiling fans and light fixtures etc.
– Carpentry works of small-scale like installing molding and wainscoting etc.
– Constructing landscape features like decks and fences etc.
– Installing fixtures in the bathroom and kitchen etc
– Doing small miscellaneous repairs in the household
How to get the best services form a handyman
You can get the best services from a handyman if you confirm that he is willing and ready to do the work you are assigning him, before hiring him.
You should also ask about the expected time to be taken to complete the task as per your requirements to get the most from the time for which he will be working for you.
You can save a lot of time and money by having a written understanding with the handyman in this regard as most of them work on hourly basis.
Even if they charge at low rate, they usually try to include their travelling charges in their bill to compensate their low fee. So it can be advisable to call a handyman when you have more than one work to do at your home instead of for every small work.
In case of a larger job you must ask for a signed contract as well as a written estimate of price to get the best services from him at very reasonable cost
You should also go through the state laws before hiring a handyman as some of the construction works need permit to accomplish them through a handyman.
You should also ensure that the warranty of your appliance will not be void if its maintenance task is performed by a handyman.